This Grade 12 ELA Module 1: Unit 1, Lesson 5 lesson plan also includes:
Zoot suits, the Lindy hop, and conks. Readers carefully examine the rhetoric of chapter 4 of The Autobiography of Malcolm X, analyze the effectiveness of using slang to develop a narrative, and consider how they might incorporate Haley's techniques in their own college prompt narrative.
- To begin the lesson, and to prepare for the closing activity, ask class members to journal a response to the prompt, "What three adjectives best describe Malcolm X at this point in the story?"
- The fifth in a 28-lesson narrative writing unit that uses The Autobiography of Malcolm X as the anchor text
- A protocol must be in place for the safe and respectful discussion of controversial issues
- The 21-page packet includes a detailed plan, discussion questions, a style and content worksheet, and an answer key
- Consistent with the other lessons in the unit, class members are encouraged to consider how the story serves as a model of narrative writing