This Grade 9 ELA Module 2: Unit 1, Lesson 8 lesson plan also includes:
Rid yourself of unsupported analytic writing forever with a mid-unit assessment focused on Edgar Allan Poe's "The Tell-Tale Heart". As ninth graders formulate an essay based on evidence from the first seven lessons in the unit, they choose a central idea from the text and provide support for its development using examples of the text structure.
- Allow struggling readers or younger classes to write a draft of the essay before a timed in-class writing assignment
- For self-assessment, send home the rubric and checklist before learners write the in-class essay
- Designed as a writing assessment for a 13-part unit, but helpful for any Poe unit
- Provides a specific mid-unit evidence collection worksheet to help learners prepare for the writing prompt
- Comes with assessment tools, including a text analysis checklist and writing rubric