This Grade 9 ELA Module 2, Unit 2, Lesson 9 lesson plan also includes:
How can a prophecy be true if the future differs from what was foreseen? Sophocles entertains this question in Oedipus the King. Teiresias, Creon, and Oedipus have weighed in on the unsolved murder of Laius, and now Jocasta voices her opinion about the inherent fallacy of the prophet's vision. Though much of the text remains, ninth graders come to their own conclusions as they analyze the similarities between Jocasta's and Teiresias' accounts of that fateful day.
- Project the worksheet onto the board
- Use the Quick Write prompt as an exit ticket
- The ninth lesson of a 20-part unit focused on literary analysis
- Handout includes the text, but no space for reflection
- Provides full versions of both the unit and the module
- Includes the text of the play as an attachment