Energy conservation is a global effort, but how can chemists aid the cause? The narrator in the eighth installment of a 12-part Green Chemistry series describes the importance of reducing reactant waste while performing reactions with much less energy input. Methods of conservation include using chemical and biological catalysts.
- Start a discussion about the Nobel Prize to ensure that the class understands the magnitude of the award for scientific breakthroughs
- Have lab groups research metathesis reactions commonly used in chemical manufacturing
- Some prior knowledge of catalysts is needed to fully appreciate the content of the video
- Learners gain perspective on the concept of reducing costs through reduced energy consumption
- Presents content in a very user-friendly way, despite the difficulty of the subject matter