Why Lesson Planet?
How can you find the solution to an addition or subtraction problem by guessing? Practice the guess-and-check strategy with a fun math activity based on Ms. Squid's ink mess on the homework. Kids determine which number is covered by the ink in each problem using reasonable guesses.
- Include in a homework packet for extra practice
- Have kids work together in small groups or in a math center to complete the worksheet
- Come up with additional magic squares for kids to work on
- The example focuses on a magic squares activity, but the actual exercise contains standard problems rather than magic squares
- Includes a fun story that goes with the math worksheet
- A good strategy to introduce to learners before moving on to more complex concepts
- Answer Key