A short video highlights the experiences of Cuban immigrants during the 1950s and 60s as many fled communist Cuba for Florida. It explains the plans of many to return once Castro was disposed and how immigrants had to integrate into American society for the first time, doing new things such as women working outside the home.
- Lead a group discussion on times students have felt left out or different from others around them
- Challenge pupils to write newspaper articles on why Cubans had to flee to the United States
- Requires registration for a free PBS account to access materials
- Short video makes a great supplement to a shorter lesson
- Resource is perfect for Hispanic Heritage Month