Helicopters fly with the help of gyroscopic precession. An uplifting Vertasium video explains two common forces, momentum and torque. Demonstrations of both forces—along with scientific explanations—help develop an overall understanding of gyroscopes.
- If possible, replicate the bicycle wheel setup in the video to test the force yourself
- Explore simple gyroscopes in class
- Set up the video so students cannot view the comments during class
- Includes subtitles in French
- Uses common objects in new ways