This Hardship and Hope: Teaching Amanda Gorman's "New Day's Lyric" lesson plan also includes:
Class members come together to study Amanda Gorman's poem "New Day's Lyric." After a close reading of the poem, learners watch a video of Gorman reading her poem, and then craft additional lines for the poem where they offer suggestions for how they can come together to overcome challenges their communities face.
- Create a "New Day's Lyric" theme wall and post pupils suggestions for how to respond positively to challenges their community is facing
- Class members should be familiar with the "Sketch to Stretch" teaching strategy; for those unfamiliar with the strategy, a link is provided that explains the rationale and the process
- Requires copies of the poem, one per participant
- Access to the student-facing slides may require a free account on the Facing History & Ourselves website
- Includes a link to a list of feelings words to assist groups in crafting their lines of poetry
- Also includes a link to student-facing instructions for teaching the poem