This Hazards: First Grade Lesson Plans and Activities unit also includes:
Examine the environmental hazards associated with volcanoes with a three-part science lesson. In the pre-lab, first graders learn that gas, landslides, ash, and lava are all hazards that come from volcanoes. They then explore hazardous volcanoes on Earth and their states—active, extinct, or dormant—by studying and plotting them on a map. The post-lab activity helps learners to visualize the dangers of a volcano.
- Include the following words on a word wall: active, dormant, extinct, hazard, and landslides
- The final in a series of four lessons about the plate tectonics cycle
- Have pupils refer to pages 5-7 in the student workbook for this portion
- A student workbook for the entire unit is included below
- The volcano slideshow is not included, and is supposed to be in place throughout the lesson