Build your youngsters' knowledge of the short /u/ sound with a quick exercise. Class members read a brief poem designed to include many words with the short /u/ sound and then answer three reading comprehension questions about the content of the poem.
- Read the short poem out loud and practice repeating the words that contain the short /u/ sound out loud together
- Have learners circle each short /u/ word as they read
- Ask individuals to highlight or underline the areas in the text where they found the answers to the reading comprehension questions
- The short poem contains many words that include the short /u/ sound for learners to identify and practice
- Handwriting lines are provided to support emerging writers as they work on writing correctly
- An answer key is not provided, but should be relatively easy to produce