This Hemingway Educator Guide lesson plan also includes:
A 17-page Educator Guide is designed to support classroom discussions of Ken Burns' documentary on Ernest Hemingway. The guide includes background information on Hemingway's life, the themes found in his works, essential and discussion questions, and activities for each of the three parts of the film and young adult literature that connects to Hemingway's themes. The guide also provides links to tips from the Office for Intellectual Freedom of the American Library Association that may be included in letters to parents sharing sensitive topics for conversations.
- Use the guide to plan for a unit study of Hemingway that includes Burns' film
- For more resources about Hemingway, check out this link to Ken Burns in the Classroom
- Use the guide's suggestions to draft a letter to caregivers about the sensitive topics that will be discussed
- The three parts of the guide are designed to be used in order and build on one another
- The guide is the first resource in the PBS Hemingway series
- Time codes in the guide indicate specific moments in the documentary