Why Lesson Planet?
Family traditions help to instill personal values, social norms, and the warmest of childhood memories. Elementary and secondary learners share their favorite family traditions with a fun diorama project. Using modeling clay, they create a 3-D diorama in a box showing their family participating in the tradition. After sharing their diorama with their peers, class members compare and contrast family traditions.
- Augment the lesson with a writing prompt about the tradition, encouraging pupils to include sensory details
- Align to an upcoming holiday or featured tradition in a literary unit
- Invite creative modifications for learners who would rather not use clay for their dioramas
- Use the adaptation suggestions as extension activities or alternate assignments
- Does not include a rubric for the assignment or presentation
- Promotes storytelling techniques, artistic expression, and presentation skills
- Provides a materials list from the publisher's brand, but any similar art supplies would suffice
- Versatile instructions do not restrict learners to a standard nuclear family model, allowing them to share different family structures