This Highways and Change lesson plan also includes:
What is the cost of change? Roberto Guerra's photo essay "La Carretera: Life and Change Along Peru's Interoceanic Highway" asks viewers to consider the impacts of the 1,600 mile-long highway through Peru and Brazil that connects Pacific and Atlantic Ocean ports. The black and white photos put into stark contrast the advantages and disadvantages of an amazing building project.
- Assign groups one of the related resources and have them develop a presentation that details what they learned from their readings
- Rather than images of the highway itself, the photos focus on the impact of the highway on the lives of the indigenous peoples
- The six-page packet includes 25 slides, discussion questions, and writing prompts
- A link to a Spanish language version of the lesson is attached
- Instructors must provide their own map of the highway route through Brazil and Peru