Word association is a great way to explore vocabulary and new ideas. In a unit about Carl Hiassen's Hoot, kids think about the word environmentalist and come up with additional words that they associate with environmentalism on sticky notes. They then categorize the words in the class list to delve further into the idea of environmentalism.
- Use the strategy for any novel or literary concept
- Have groups discuss which words they think would be most applicable to the book or certain chapters that they have read
- You will need to provide your own assessment to check for understanding
- Versatile for multiple books or subjects
- Fun and collaborative for readers of all levels