This Household Energy Audit activity & project also includes:
Do you have an energy hog in your home? Individuals pick at least one room at home to determine the amount of energy the appliances consume. Using that information, pupils fill out a worksheet to determine the cost of running each appliance for a week for each room. "What if" questions provide an opportunity for individuals to determine what they can do to change the amount of energy used at home.
- Teach pupils how to use the watt meter in class by determining the power usage of household items brought in to class
- Encourage individuals to select a room that does not just have the minimum number of electrical appliances
- The Excel worksheet makes it easier to do the "What if" portion
- The worksheets come in both PDF and Doc form to allow for editing if needed
- The calculations require individuals to project usage for a week, not just for the day information was collected
- The activity does not require the use of all the listed standards