How does a sailboat go both with and against the wind? The Vertasium video surveys people on this question. After asking many people to explain the way a sailboat works, finally a sailor answers. This allows for discussion of lift and air flow.
- Build model sailboats and experiment with wind
- Research the actual way a sailboat works
- Assumes prior observations of sailboats, which some scholars may not have
- Demonstrates the many misconceptions people have about sailboats
- Scientific explanation isn't accurate; it was accepted for many years but has been proven incorrect