How does taking a drug designed to speed the body up calm a brain that's working too fast already? Health scholars examine the effects of Adderall and other amphetamine compounds using a video from the American Chemical Society's Reactions playlist. Topics include amphetamine use during wars throughout the years, what amphetamines do in the body, and the differences between amphetamine and methamphetamine.
- Incorporate the video into a health or human body systems lesson
- Follow up the resource with more information about amphetamine use during World War II with a short video clip
- Pupils should have some prior knowledge of how the central nervous system works
- The content is interesting and relevant for many students
- Scientific explanations are accurate and presented in an understandable manner