It's a new spin on acceleration! Watch as visitors at a park try to explain the rotation of the Earth using a granite model. The interviewer demonstrates the application of force in different directions to cause the sphere to accelerate or decelerate while explaining the concept of inertia.
- Perform an acceleration demonstration after watching the video or set one up and let the class experiment to determine how an object with a lot of inertia is able to accelerate
- In advanced classes, have pupils calculate how much force would be necessary to cause Earth to accelerate its rotation
- Provide some background information about force, mass, and acceleration to learners that are less familiar with the concepts
- The resource shows a great example of inertia versus acceleration for learners struggling with the relationship
- Narrator gently corrects misconceptions of his interviewees while leading them toward the right answer to the question