This How the Chalicothere Split In Two video also includes:
How is it that the same animal, living in the same place, at the same time, evolved into two different species? As part of a larger series, an engaging video explains the rise of the chalicothere, the split in evolution, and eventually their demise. The video focuses on how natural selection, survival of the fittest, and a bit of chance can change everything.
- Have class members create a poster of the tree of life including chalicotheres, horses, and rhinos
- Research some of the adaptations mentioned in more detail, such as knuckle walking, retractable claws, etc.
- Content ends at 7:05; the remaining time is an advertisement
- Highlights parallel evolution, while most studies only focus on divergent evolution
- Connects ancient species to common species today
- Includes subtitles for English learners