Throwing a curve ball can make or break a sporting game, but what is the scientific process for throwing this way? The video explains the Magnus force, aerodynamics, and the axis of rotation, and relates the science to both baseball and cricket.
3 Views 2 Downloads CCSS: Adaptable
- Have pupils practice throwing various types of balls and recording each type in slow motion to observe the Magnus force
- Discuss other sports where this might apply
- Relies on basic prior knowledge of forces and vectors
- Connects science and sports, making the material interesting to students with varying interests
- Works well in traditional or flipped classrooms