If floating were easy, everyone would do it! How does the Coanda Effect work? A video from a fascinating physics playlist shows how balanced upward and downward forces float a ping pong ball in a stream of air.
3 Views 0 Downloads CCSS: Adaptable
- Perform the demonstration live and have pupils create their own explanations; watch the video and have them check their work
- Provide a few hair dryers and let the class try to float a ping pong ball themselves
- Be sure to cover forces, inertia, and viscosity before introducing the Coanda Effect
- The narrator explains the phenomenon clearly
- Force diagrams show the forces acting on the ball throughout the demonstration