This How to Write a Tanka Poem activity & project also includes:
Take your haikus to the next level with tanka poems, another form of Japanese poetry that regulates the length and rhythm of each line by syllables. Young writers read the explanation, examples, and tips for tanka poems before writing their own.
8 Views 12 Downloads CCSS: Adaptable
- Use in a homeschool or flipped classroom setting
- Have learners write tanka poems about a holiday break to both practice the form and reflect on their vacation
- Requires access to the Internet to view the lesson
- Helpful, but not necessary, if learners have experience writing haikus
- Covers the nuances of the different parts of a tanka poem when conveying a narrative