This I’ve Got the POWER Wind Energy Potential at Your School lesson plan also includes:
The 20th lesson in a 21-part series connects the wind data and expectations of a turbine to whether such devices should be built in your area. Scholars begin with estimating the wind potential at school by using long-term climate data before comparing the cost of buying and installing the turbine to determine if it would be better or worse for the area.
- Map the areas on another continent that would benefit from wind energy
- Visit a wind farm or watch a tour of a wind farm online
- Requires prior knowledge of wind speed and kinetic energy
- Aligns to the National Science Education Standards, National Education Technology Standards, National Council of Teachers of Mathematics Education Standards, Climate Literacy Principles, and Energy Literacy Principles
- Offers technology tips for the programs used
- Includes links to many resources for before, during, and after the lesson