This Immigrant Discrimination lesson plan also includes:
For a class learning about Chinese and Irish immigration in America, here's a great starting lesson plan. It has your critical thinkers examining song lyrics, the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882, and a political cartoon, and finally answering a few questions to demonstrate their understanding of the sources.
- Combine with other primary sources about the Chinese Exclusion Acts (examples found here: https://www.loc.gov/rr/program/bib/ourdocs/chinese.html)
- Have your historians find other primary sources from the time period that are also relevant to the issue of immigrant discrimination
- The original document of the Chinese Exclusion Act is difficult to read - for an easier read, use the transcript provided on the site
- You can find audio of the song 'No Irish Need Apply' by searching for it on Youtube
- Helpful primary source comparison chart provided
- Great mix of primary sources