Introduce learners to independent and dependent variables with an informative video.The two variables are defined via inputs and outputs. It makes clear that the independent variable is the one that the person has control over, while the dependent variable is the result of the decisions made on the independent one.
- Have class members come up with examples of relationships and identify the independent and dependent variables
- Use the video in a flipped classroom environment
- The resource mentions the cost function as a function that the class already knows
- Video shows the relationship between the two variables using a variety of representations
- Makes the connection between the two variables and the way individuals can graph relationships on the coordinate axis
- Aligned standard is for only one variable equations; the video is about two-variable relationships