This Insulation Materials Investigation lesson plan also includes:
Don't melt away! Pairs investigate different insulation materials to determine which one is better than the others. Using a low-temp heat plate, the teams insulate an ice cube from the heat source with a variety of substances. They measure the time it takes to melt the cube, record the data, and draw conclusions to determine the best.
- Conduct the experiment again using a different heating method to determine whether the best insulation is still superior
- Have the class develop a plan to determine how much of an insulation material is needed to match the efficiency of another insulation
- You'll need to create same-sized ice cubes
- The hot plate needs to be low-temperature so as not to melt the plastic cups
- Utilizes the scientific method to gather the data
- Provides alternative method in case time runs short