This Interpreting the Standard Deviation assessment also includes:
Does standard deviation work for non-symmetrical distributions, and what does it mean? Through the use of examples, high schoolers determine the standard deviation of a variety of distributions and interpret its meaning. Problems require more than just a number — they require a complete understanding of the standard deviation.
- Create various dot plots with different standard deviations and have the class order them from smallest to largest
- Have pairs create dot plots with standard deviations that would fall between the standard deviations in the exercises
- The sixth lesson of a 20-lesson module
- Provides a natural way to use Think-Pair-Share activity
- Developed specifically to use the standard deviation to compare variability of data sets that are not obvious