Crabs and lobsters ... yum! The 18th installment of a 23-part NOAA Enrichment in Marine sciences and Oceanography (NEMO) program focuses on invertebrate marine life. After the lecture slideshow, learners conduct an activity to sample species diversity on the ocean floor.
- Invite a marine scientist to speak to the class about sampling methods for marine life
- Activity requires materials such as string, toothpicks, and round paper dots from a hole punch
- It is helpful if pupils have prior knowledge of invertebrates (such as from biology class), but it is not required to understand the lesson
- Activity simulates how scientists research marine populations
- Keeps learners engaged in the subject material