Torque--a teachable moment? Here's a lesson on torque (or moment) and variables that include size, reinforcement, structural bracing, and material that affect torque.
8 Views 7 Downloads
- Invite an engineer to discuss torque
- Be sure to use the activity associated with the lesson
- Lesson builds on knowledge from previous lessons; learners need to have understanding of forces and loads
- The fifth installment of a six-part series
- Teacher guide includes detailed information in lesson background section
- Does not contain worksheets or handouts
Heat and the Second Law of Thermodynamics
More than a week's worth of investigation is provided in this source. Physical science stars experiment to describe specific heat, conduction, convection, and radiation. They also discover the relationship between mechanical and thermal...
7th - 12th Science
How high can you go? In a STEM design challenge, teams design and build a structure using only dowel rods and rubber bands. The goal is to build the tallest freestanding structure using all of the dowel rods. Teams present their designs...
3rd - 8th Technology & Engineering CCSS: Designed
Freestanding Structures: A Tech Museum Floor Activity
Students attempt to design the tallest structure that they can with the given materials which are wooden dowels and rubber bands. They discuss the physics of their structure and how they would improve it the next time they built a...
3rd - 8th Science
Circle of Pong
A STEM lesson presents a simulation of placing a scientific instrument in a lava flow. Teams design and build a device that can place a ping pong ball in a cup from a distance of at least three feet. They test and refine the device...
3rd - 12th Technology & Engineering CCSS: Designed