This Investments in Forest Carbon lesson plan also includes:
One hundred metric tons of CO2 can accumulate in one acre of forest over time—that's a lot of carbon! In the activity, groups of middle school learners determine what makes forests important. They then solidify the concept by using a case study to learn about carbon investments.
- Place learners in pairs of groups ahead of time
- Discuss the word value and what it means to the class before beginning the activity
- Within groups, assign roles: recorder, speaker, and materials manager; if you have groups of four, assign one role twice
- Additional resources include a short video and radio program
- Includes a page of background information for the teacher and/or learners
- Second link to radio program does not work