This Island Rotation: Lesson Plan 2 lesson plan also includes:
Why are Torrey pines only found in La Jolla, California and on Santa Rosa Island? Class members examine images of Torrey pines from these two locations, noting the similarities and differences, and then develop a demonstration model that explains the trees' distribution.
- Include in a geology unit on plate tectonics and continental drift
- The activity presumes class members have watched the West of the West's documentary, Island Rotation
- Instructors must locate and provide groups with the two Torrey pine images
- The four-page packet includes a plan, a template for the observation worksheet, and suggestions for supplemental activities
- Images of the Torrey pines are not included
- No rubric for the presentation project