Introduce rhythmic beat and melodic beat with a upbeat activity that asks young musicians to clap the beat to their favorite nursery rhyme. To introduce the rest beat, class members use small drums or other percussion instruments to play "Hickory Dickory Dock."
- Have groups select a nursery rhyme, tap it out for the class, and ask the class to identify the rhyme
- Presumes class members have previously studied Kodaly notation
- Introduces the notation for the one beat rest as Sah and Z
- Requires a percussion instrument for each class member
- Includes the lyrics for and the rhythm pattern for "Hickory Dickory Dock"
- Individuals use Kodaly notation to add the Ta's and Ti-ti's to their copy of the lyrics