This Laboratory Safety and Skills lesson plan also includes:
Avoiding lab safety rules will not give you super powers. The instructional activity opens with a demonstration of not following safety rules. Then, young chemists practice their lab safety while finding the mass of each item in a mixture and trying to identify the mystery substance. This is the first in a series of two lessons.
- Have learners create a new way of educating other classes on the safety rules; ideas could include comic strips, cartoons, skits, etc.
- Prepare the mixture with the mystery substance in advance
- The lesson best fits near the beginning of the school year
- The first in a series of two lessons
- Provides many strategies for differentiation
- Includes multiple journal writing prompts