N.B.. cit., n.b., viz., sc., inf. e,g,—these abbreviations frequently appear in academic papers and on works cited lists, but what do they mean? Part of a larger series to improve writing skills, the handout on Latin terms and abbreviations provides the definitions for e.g., i.e., etc., and other common shortcuts that appear in writing. An example of the term in use appears alongside each explanation.
- Create a matching game where learners must match each Latin term or abbreviation with its meaning
- Write sentences using i.e. and e.g., and then remove them and challenge scholars to place them in the correct spaces
- Does not require prior knowledge of Latin words or phrases
- Bolds key words in headers to help writers quickly find the term they need
- Includes many less common abbreviations that students will not likely encounter or notice while reading or writing