Have you ever been asked to explain a leap year/leap day? Use this response to reading activity to support your scholars in finding out what it is, and its importance to our calendar. This resource is made up of eight questions following three paragraphs and a poem.
- Display the months of the year poem and read it aloud as a brain break from daily activities
- Assign the reading passage on leap day or the closest school day
- Visit the school library or search on a mobile learning device for additional information about the leap year
- Copies are required
- Answers come directly from the text, enhancing the skill of reading and responding using text information
- One question goes beyond the passage and enables deep thinking and mathematics
- The reading passage provides a limited explanation as to why we have a leap day/leap year