This Learning with Nature lesson plan also includes:
Think outside the box - and think about education beyond the classroom walls - with a resource that has your critical thinkers watching a video about a nursery in Scotland that lets youngsters roam wild in a forest. Viewers reflect on the video through discussion and some writing prompts about the nature of imagination, play, and the relationship of these concepts to education.
- It would be interesting to go over this resource with your fellow teachers for professional development, not just your students
- If your school is linked to an elementary or pre-K school, see if there's any overlap between the educational philosophy expressed in the video and that expressed at your own school
- Given the subject, getting the class outside for the discussion or writing component makes sense if possible
- If playing the video in class, make sure there is video playback capability and Internet in the classroom
- A timely resource given our growing reliance on screens as a medium for delivering educational experiences
- Plenty of rich prompts for discussion and writing