This Lesson 1: The Importance of Rules in Our Country and in Our Classroom lesson plan also includes:
Explore the importance of rules in a community with the engaging first lesson of this series on the US government. To begin, children play a paper clip game that requires them to make up their own rules as they go, after which the class discusses fairness and the difference between good rules and bad rules.
- Break students into small groups to play the paper clip game and talk about their experiences, before holding a whole-class discussion about rules
- Encourage students to record the rules they come up with for the paper clip game, having each group share their ideas with the class
- Offers suggestions for adapting the lesson based on the needs of your class
- A list of questions are provided for guiding a class discussion about the importance of rules
- Includes a series of supplemental Brain Break activities for maintaining the engagement of young learners