This Lesson 1: Who Can Vote in the United States? lesson plan also includes:
The purpose of this first lesson in a series of five about enfranchisement and suffrage is to determine what class members already know, or think they know, about voting and voter registration. Groups answer questions on the provided worksheets and post their responses. The whole class then discusses where they see agreement or disagreement.
- Rather than providing class members with the definitions of the vocabulary words, use the list as an opportunity for individuals to practice their research and dictionary skills
- The first in a series of five related lessons
- The five lessons in the series are designed to be used in order and build on concepts developed in previous exercises
- The activity assesses prior knowledge
- Conflicting responses indicate to class members where additional information is needed and motivates their research