This Lesson 10 - Compound Words lesson plan also includes:
Individually, words have power, but when added together, they can take on a whole other level of meaning. Readers learn about compound words in the 10th of 17 lessons of the Word Recognition and Fluency series. A script provides guidance as teachers introduce the multi-syllabic words and fun activities, such as a volleyball compound game and compound word math, give learners a chance to practice the skill.
- Make silly compound words, such as dogcat or sunshirt and draw pictures to describe what they mean
- Give writers a list of three to four compound words and have them try to write sentences that use all of the words
- One activity requires an inflatable ball
- References previous skills when introducing the new one
- Breaks down a concept into smaller parts to scaffold learning