This Lesson 17 - Adding Suffixes That Change Base Words' Finally to I lesson plan also includes:
If it ends in a y, change the y to i when adding a suffix like -ness, -ly, or fy. The final lesson in the Word Recognition and Fluency series of 17 explains when to change the final letter in a base word to i before adding a suffix. Activities introduce the final Y rule and provide opportunities to practice decoding words before having readers practice encoding and decoding words with common suffixes.
- Write base words and suffixes on separate index cards, then have scholars match them up and write the correct word when they are combined
- Make up a rhyme to help remember to change the y to an i when adding a suffix
- References printable flashcards and worksheets
- Gives teachers a script to follow during direct and guided instruction
- Begins with a review of the doubling and silent e rules
- Flip cards contain the correct word on both sides rather than giving learners a chance to think of it themselves before flipping the card over