This Let's Lasso the Moon: Phases of the Moon lesson plan also includes:
A timelapse video hooks learners' attention to the phases of the moon. After discussing their observations, pupils use the Moon Giant website to view the moon on their birthday and complete a bar graph. The class creates an anchor chart describing each moon phase. Over a month, scholars fill in a moon journal. A hands-on activity acts as an assessment.
- If it's too late for pupils to go outside to see the moon, look up an image from the night before when they return to class that they can copy into their moon journal
- Display finished products at Open House
- Requires internet access, copies of handouts, and plenty of extra prep time to gather the many materials needed for activities
- The video uses hand and body movement
- Participants choose the hands-on activity to evaluate their comprehension