This Let's Learn About Stewardship and River Basins lesson plan also includes:
What does it mean to be a good steward? Middle school environmentalists learn to care for their state's waterways through research, a guest speaker, and poster activity. Groups must locate and learn more about a river basin and the human factors that affect it, as well as the measures people take to keep it clean.
- Invite a guest speaker from a local business to discuss with the class what measures they take to keep pollution out of local water resources
- Have groups locate news articles related to pollution in the river basin they are researching
- The objectives and some of the materials are state-specific; consider incorporating info from your own state into the lesson
- Laminate the river basin maps to make them more durable; each group needs a copy
- The activities help pupils understand the factors that affect water quality throughout their states
- Research and presentation components give the class practice in collaborating and small-group discussion