This Life for German Youth in the 1930s: Education, Propaganda, Conformity, and Obedience lesson plan also includes:
The German youth faced an onslaught of propaganda when they went to school, thanks to the Nazi regime led by Hitler during World War II. Pupils relate their education experiences to German youth by analyzing primary source readings, engaging in discussions, and watching relevant clips. The resource encourages learners to assess current scenarios relevant to civic education to evaluate comprehension, and also proposes several extension activities.
- Assign an essay where students reflect on the differences between their education system and that of the German youth; ask them to tie in what they have learned about propaganda from the last lesson
- Suggests showing the excerpt of a documentary film, Childhood Memories
- Assumes teachers use the lesson in sequential order; this is the 12th of the 17-part series
- Establishes a collaborative environment through group activities
- Asks questions during class discussions that build critical thinking skills
- Provides activities that enable different teaching models