This Linda R. Monk, Words We Live By: Your Annotated Guide to the Constitution - Grade 8 lesson plan also includes:
- Join to access all included materials
“We the people . . .” Thus begins the Preamble to the Constitution. Using a close reading approach, class members examine an excerpt from Linda Monk’s article that traces how the interpretation of these words has evolved. Some of your kids may be surprised to learn that at one time women, Native Americans, and white males who did not own property were not thought of as part of “the people.” Reading, vocabulary, sentence syntax, discussion, and writing tasks are all delineated in the richly detailed plan. A teaching guide to the Constitution is also included.
- The exemplar text highlights and defines tier-three vocabulary
- Exemplar includes directions for teachers and guiding questions for students
- Suggestions for extension activities are also included
- Contains images of the 1890, 1930, 1970, and 2010 Supreme Court Justices