This Lone Woman of San Nicolas Island: Lesson Plan 4 lesson plan also includes:
Imagine being stranded all alone on an island for 18 years. How would you survive? Class members are challenged to makes necessities out of natural materials that would likely be found on an island.
- Survey the class to determine which members are scouts and after the activity encourage them to share the badges they have earned that would be helpful in this simulation
- Incorporate the activity in a study of Scott O'Dell's Island of the Blue Dolphins
- After the matching exercise, give groups try their hands a fashioning some of the necessities out of natural materials
- Class members do not need to have read Island of the Blue Dolphins to engage in the activity
The plan includes an independent practice exercises, extensions, and a particularly relevant exercise that asks individuals to accept the challenge of going screen free for a week
- Beware the misspellings (Nicholas for Nicolas Island)