In 1977, scientists discovered hot springs in the middle of deep, cold ocean waters near the Galapagos Islands. Scholars research the chemical reactions that explain what scientists found at the Lost City. A discussion connects many concepts and introduces new vocabulary.
- Before the lesson, review convergent and divergent boundaries and hydrothermal vents
- Discuss what other areas of the earth scientists haven't investigated yet and what they might find when they do
- Relies on prior knowledge of plate tectonics, pH, and temperature
- Contains cross-curricular connections to language arts, geography, and science
- Offers multiple extension ideas for those enchanted by the concepts
- Includes a vocabulary list students should include in their answers to ensure they are on the right track