What happens when stars run out of fuel? Pupils learn the incredible sequence of events that occur as a star nears its end. The video compares and contrasts the events in low- and high-mass stars, detailing the cycle of fusion, energy release, and expansion. The narrator also explains the lifespan of stars of different masses.
- Show the video as a follow-up to a lesson about stars
- Provide the class with examples of stars of different masses and ages, including our own sun
- To prevent misconceptions ensure cass members understand that our sun will be around for a long time to come
- Prior knowledge of the process of fusion would be helpful in viewing the video
- Neatly summarizes complicated aspects of the decline of stars for a wide range of learning levels
- Illustrations help to convey the fusion process that takes place in both healthy and dying stars