Traditional lamian, a noodle originating from China, is hand shaped by twisting, stretching, and folding the dough into strands. Scholars observe the technique before determining the length of the final noodle. They use exponential growth models to better understand the relationships.
- Have pupils work in groups to first list the information needed to solve the problem
- Once students have the necessary information, instruct them to work individually to get an answer
- Relies on understanding of exponential functions
- Offers teacher tips to help assist students with areas of possible confusion
- Includes a cultural connection to Chinese tradition