What are the factors that limit growth and expansion? As part of their study of Catalina Island, class members view the West of the West's documentary Magic Isle and research William Wrigley and the Santa Catalina Island Company. After learning more about the limiting factors, groups take on the roles of engineering companies and craft a proposal to develop the island and increase the company's profits.
- Have groups research the current extreme water restrictions for residents and businesses on Catalina Island
- Presumes class members are familiar with Visible Thinking routines
- The activity does not address the question of whether or not the island should be further developed
- Links are provided to additional resources on Visible Thinking routines and on the history of Catalina Island
- No rubric is provided for the assignment