Make sure your class has a grasp of words that include the long /a/ sound and follow the _a_e pattern. They can read the short poem on this page, which includes many examples of this pattern to practice, and then complete the three reading questions on the page.
- Read the poem out loud as a class or in small groups
- Have learners highlight or underline the answers to the questions
- Ask kids to circle each word they find the shows the target pattern (long /a/ sound with _a_e)
- The questions are paired with handwriting lines to support learners as they work on writing correctly
- There are plenty of examples of long /a/ words that follow the _a_e pattern for students to identify and practice
- This does not included an answer key; however, answers should be easy to determine